Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Badgering the Witness



Grand Teton Snarling Badger

Since I brewed my first Berliner Weisse a few weeks back, I figured it was about time to actually try a one. I suppose I should have done this first but I'm not usually one to follow the rules. Having bought it a few months back my first impression was to cellar it for a year or two and then try it. My curiosity got the better of me and I drank it instead.

Great looking bottle with a well done label. Nice touch with the shiny metallic looking paper that is sure to attract magpie like beer drinkers. With a bonus note attached to the bottle to boot, this really draws the eye to it on those crowded beer bottle lined shelfs. Pours a cloudy golden orange hue with a quickly dissapating head. The brew is super bubbly on the palette, to the point of almost champagne standards. The nose is light but one can pick up a slight tartness along more pronounced wheat, banana profile, and a touch of cloves. The taste is follows the nose, with notes of fruits such as banana and peach melded pinch of cloves and a slight touch of souring tartness at the end. An interesting brew, granted this isn't a true representation of a Berliner Weisse, having tripled the ABV to a whopping 7.5% and using a Bavarian hefeweizen yeast, it was tasty nontheless. The bright level of carbonation and lightness of the beer made this an easy sipper on a hot day. I would very much like to purchase another one and cellar it for future tasting as the brewers suggest.  Now I just need to find something more true to style to compare to my own creation. Any suggestions?

No comments:

Post a Comment