Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Tornado Proof Hop Poles


Rise Above Us Noble Hops

Finally got those blasted poles up for the hops. Poles were constructed as a T style so that next year we can add another run of hops on the other side to double our capacity. We hope to have roughly 10 rhizomes going next year. Used two 10 foot posted we spliced and bolted together. Dug a 4 foot hole and raised them using a tractor and a giant phone line wooden spool as a fulcrum. In hindsight we should have rigged up all the lines before the poles were 18ft in the air, going up and down a shaky ladder on a lightly breezy day isn't something I'm accustomed too, nor something i want to do again. After running guide wires to support make the poles and wires taunt the job was completed. Swinging the sledge hammer was fun but I can see why John Henry got replaced. As the case working with my Dad on a project, these are the Fort Knox of hop poles. If a tornado was coming my way and i was stranded in this field I would feel as comfortable as one could in such a scenario to whip my belt off and Bill Paxton twister myself to one of these poles.


Of the original seven hops I received only four have managed to grow. Willamette, Columbus, and two Nuggets. Farewell dear Cascade, Centennial, and Chinook, maybe next years replacements will fare better. Got to love our throw away society mentality. Plant growth is minimam compared to other peoples pictures, but being year one I'm not expecting much of anything. I believe hop production is suppose to be roughly 40% of potential max production. In the next week or so I'll be begin train the hop bines to go skyward. Really need to water them more consistently. This heat wave isn't helping matters.

No comments:

Post a Comment