Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Sipping Wheat, Spitting Seeds

21st Amendment Hell or High Watermelon
I have to admit, I'm not very keen on watermelon. I like the occasional late summer, ice cold slice of watermelon drenched in a patina of salt, but any type of candy flavored with watermelon, I'll gladly pass on. So the idea of a wheat beer with watermelon slightly appealed to me and at the same time gave me the willies. A wheat beer, done right with a touch of watermelon that didn't taste artificial might just be delectable. So on a quick trip to MN I bought a six pack of 21 Amendment cans and returned home to KC and waited for the proper day to try. Which was the next day, with temps in the 100s already in late June, it was a perfect time to try as I sat comfortably inside my air conditioned home.

Awesome can, I suppose anytime you can get Lady Liberty lounging around, snagging a watermelon from a trash barge, you outta. Pours a hazy golden yellow with a thin head that quickly subsides. The aroma was of wheat and yeast with subtle hints of tart watermelon. The flavor was actually quite nice and surprisingly refreshing. A very nice wheat character that set the table for the gentle waves of watermelon that followed. The watermelon taste was light but clean and crisp, not at all artificial or sweet syrupy which isn't something I ever want in a fruit laced beer. So natural it wouldn't have surprised me to have to spit a seed out while drinking it. While not something I would drink a lot of on a consistent basis, its certainly a interesting beer, and one worth trying, especially on a hot summer day.

No comments:

Post a Comment