Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Beer Review - Left Hand Brewery Milk Stout



Brewery: Left Hand Brewing
Location: Longmont, CO
Beer Name: Milk Stout
Style: Sweet Stout
ABV: 6.0%
IBU: 25

The beer was poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass. Pours a almost black with brown highlights. A suggested heavy pour creates a nice cascading effect creating an average retaining tan head with nice lacing. The aroma speaks heavily of roasted malts with undertones of earthy woods and a faint lingering sense of sweet milk chocolate. The flavor follows the aroma with roasted chocolate malts followed by a light earthy taste that moves to a slightly sweet, chocolate milk finish. A creamy medium light body with a rounded carbonation.

Overall a nice sweet stout beer. I have to admit I had a Left Hand Nitro Milk Stout on tap first and it was amazing. This beer seems to be a restrained bottled version of that beer. The label doesn’t do a lot for me. Being from the Midwest, I see lots of cows so I’m not all that excited to see one on a beer bottle. However, I really do like the Left Hand symbol for the patches on the cow and on the cap. A nice looking beer that pours well. A nice sweet cream head to the beer. The aroma was very pleasant but understated. The flavor was very nicely rounded, making it very easy to drink. No alcohol is noticeable.  Not overly sweet, but I would like it a touch sweeter. Body seemed a little thin to me. Really a very good beer but I’d prefer the Nitro instead.

Score

Label/Cap
5/10
Appearance
7/10
Aroma
6/10
Flavor
8/10
Overall
7/10
Total
33/50

Judgment Scale
  0-9 Not worth your $
10-19 A OK Beer
20-29 A Good Beer
30-39 A Great Beer
40-44 A All-star Beer
45-50 A Hall of Fame Beer

No comments:

Post a Comment