Thursday, April 26, 2012

Foam Follows Function


My wife found this Lagerhead Black & Tan Turtle beer tool (http://www.brewtool.com/), at the local World Market and thought it would be something I would enjoy. The fact that she likes turtles helped the matter, along with her infinity for snakebites too. At first I was a bit skeptical. The head didn't look like it was sturdy enough to be a good bottle opener and I'm not very partial to mixing beers. But nonetheless it was a very interesting beer item and clever in its looks. Having gotten it home I removed it from the package and the bottle opener was much more sturdy than eye inspection appeared. I quickly snatched a leftover St. Patty's Guinness Stout from the fridge and a can of Shiner Bock. After reading the directions I poured the Shiner with a decent head first and then affixed the Lagerhead, which fits very nicely onto the top of the pint glass, and then poured the Guinness carefully over the top. Little streams of dark stout nicely capped the brew. I have to say it was just an OK mix. I love Shiner and Guinness but together it was not my favorite, there was a metallic aftertaste that wasn't the most pleasant.  

The Black Shiner

I was not ready to give up tho and the next day I gave it a try again with a Boulevard's Boss Tom Golden Bock and a Guinness, which I like to call a Black & Tom. This combo went much better together, the slightly sweeter malty Boss Tom complemented the dry roasted bitterness of the Guinness Stout.

The Black & Tom

Day three I went with an Irish theme of Guinness and Boulevard Irish Ale. There was a pleasant contrast with the Black of the stout and dark red of the Irish and the taste was a winner. Bitter roasted stout with the sweet earthy Irish ale was a perfect complement. Perhaps I'll try a Boulevard Dark Truth Stout with the last Irish Ale I have left.

The KC Fountain?

I have to say I'm slightly hooked on floating beers now and I'm constantly thinking what beers and ciders I want to try next. Lagerhead you have changed my mind. Well Played






No comments:

Post a Comment